Choosing a portable table saw may seem like an easy task. After all, an experienced woodworker knows the best tools. Such a perception holds no water. Judging modern table saws by just looking at them will often cause a buyer to miss other variables. The following review has singled out ten top-ranked models. It comprises of short descriptions coupled with select features of each machine.
Different users have differing opinions about what they consider the best qualities of a table saw. This review acknowledges that the best table saw must be of the highest quality. At the same time, the price of such a tool should match its performance.
There is no doubt that the market has an array of table saws. However, buyers rarely have the time to find out about each brand or model. Through a buying guide such as this one, users can narrow down their options. Here now are the ten best portable table saws.
Top 10 Portable Table Saw – Reviews and Comparisons:
|Product Name||Brand||Price Range||Rating|
|Bosch 10-Inch Worksite Table Saw||Bosch||$$$$||Excellent|
|SKIL 3410-02 10-Inch Table Saw||Skil||$$||Excellent|
|Hitachi C10RJ 10″ 15-Amp Jobsite Table Saw||Hitachi||$$$||Excellent|
|Jet JBTS-10MJS 10-Inch Jobsite Table Saw||Jet||$$$||Excellent|
|Bosch 10-Inch Portable||Bosch||$$||Excellent|
|Makita 2705 10-Inch Contractor Table Saw||Makita||$$$||Excellent|
|DeWalt DW745 Table saw||DeWalt||$$||Excellent|
|SKILSAW Portable Worm Drive Table Saw||SkilSaw||$$$||Excellent|
Our Picks of 10 Best Portable Table Saw:
1. DEWALT DWE7491RS
The DEWALT DWE7491RS is highly efficient equipment. It weighs in at 90 pounds and has a 15-amp motor that generates enough power to cut through hardwood and pressure-treated lumber. The saw has an in-built stand for ease of portability.
At 90 degrees, it can cut materials three inches thick and 2.25 inches thick at 45 degrees. In terms of versatility, the DWE791RS delivers whether one opts to trim large or small chunks of wood.
DeWalt’s concern for clean workspaces is evident through this machine’s dust capturing abilities. An added feature helps remove debris both from the table’s surface and beneath.
Such development is vital for wood smiths who run small but busy workshops. They have neither the time nor resources to clean up.
Moreover, buying this table saw comes with a warranty of three years. However, there are no accessories provided at the time of purchase. Any professional or hobbyist woodworker must buy what they need for their work.
At the point of sale, the equipment comes with a miter gauge, push stick, rolling stand, and a blade.
Cabinet and floor installation experts will find this machine useful. Trim carpenters, remodelers, deck builders and hobby woodworkers will treasure the DEWALT DWE7491RS.
- 15-amp motor – enough power for any lumber cuts
- Dust collectors for a clean workshop – no need to clean up after completion of work
- Mobile stand – for ease of transportation from point A to B
- Three types of blades for heavy and light cutting – the saw cuts concrete too
- Overall weight 110 pounds – suitable weight for convenient mobility
- 3-year warranty – also backed by customer support on phone and email
2. Bosch 10-Inch Worksite Table Saw
The Bosch 10-inch table saw has a gravity-rise stand fitted with pneumatic wheels for portability. The wheels design is in a manner that they can traverse any surface.
The t-slot miter gauge helps increase the accuracy of a cut. A 15-amp motor fitted on this table saw sees it generate up to 4.0 hp and 650 RPM (rotations per minute). Such a powerful engine splits, crosscuts, and rip cuts any carpentry materials, whether soft or hardwood. Also, the tabletop, made from cast aluminum, provides enough workspace for varying material widths
Bosch has added safety features such as the guard assembly that prevents contact with the blade. Also, this worksite table saw has anti-kickback pawls for stopping the cutting edge hence protecting users from injury. Besides, the guard assembly allows the woodworker to have a full view of the way the machine progresses with a cut.
The Bosch 10-inch power saw has an inbuilt soft-start circuitry, to prevent tripping. The electric cord stretches at six inches maximum, which is enough for plugging without pushing the table saw too near to a power source.
It is a piece of expensive equipment. The 1-year warranty does not offer much as compensation for the high cost.
- Safety guard: includes a riving knife, anti-kickback pawls, and a barrier to prevent blade contact
- Working surface: large enough, 25 inches wide, to accommodate big and small chunks of wood
- Gravity-rise stand collapsible with height adjustment plus treaded wheels for movement from one job site to the other
- 15-amp motor and 4.0 horsepower to power through the varying material thickness
- The riving knife on this can be adjusted into three different positions.
3. SKIL 3410-02 10-Inch Table Saw
The SKIL 3410-02 is a piece of lightweight equipment. It weighs in at 67 pounds and has a stand but without wheels. The frame, made from heavy-duty material, can fold and open when needed during setup and transportation. Its cast-aluminum tabletop measures 20 x 26 inches with the capacity to stretch to 32 inches.
It also has a rip fence to help the woodcutter obtain accurate measurements. Also, the miter gauge comes in handy by guiding pieces of wood when one is making a crosscut. At 3-1/2 inches, the cut height capacity tears through four times the ordinary material size in one swipe.
For cutting accuracy, the SKIL 3410-02 uses the EZ View system. The table saw also has a rip fence that aligns automatically hence further giving a craftsman accurate setting for their work. At 45 degrees the saw achieves a cut depth of 2.5 inches and 3.5 inches at 90 degrees.
The manufacturer has a three-year warranty on the table saw. However, the buyer must register their product within 30 days from the time of purchase. It’s one of the cheapest among the ten under review. On the downside, the table saw does not have a port for collecting dust and debris.
The accessories that come with this include a 10-inch table saw, carbide-tooth blade, heavy-duty steel folding stand, self-aligning rip force, miter gauge, and two blade wrenches. It’s also a product that’s certified by cULus.
- Powerful motor, at 15 amps, which helps in cutting all types of wood
- A foldable stand that also provides for quick mounting of the woodcutter, transportation, and storage
- Rip fence for alignment and accurate measurements
- An EZ view measurement system for precise cuts
- Heavy-duty stand, but no wheels which may make portability difficult
4. Hitachi C10RJ 10″ 15-Amp Jobsite Table Saw
The design of the Hitachi C10RJ features a caster stand and platform with foldable legs. Hitachi has also fixed wheels for maneuverability across different terrain. An easily reachable on/off button allows a user to operate the table saw with ease. For added safety, the makers have installed a circuit breaker.
The power supply comes from a 15-amp motor with a capacity for generating 4,500 RPMs. Additionally, calibrations on this saw make it ideal for all types of wood. Also, it has high torque for cutting engineered timber and hard materials. At 4,500 RPMs, the blade speed can rip through softwood quickly.
A woodworker will find that the C10RJ has enough cutting space. Other than measuring 22 x 28-3/4 inches, one can extend the surface area to attain a rip capacity of 35 inches. The space generosity from Hitachi also extends to the cutting depth. At 90 degrees, this table can cut up to 3-1/8 inches and 2-1/4 inches at 45 degrees.
As for dust management, the C10RJ has a dust port connected to a collection bag. It can also connect to a vacuum cleaner. The soft-start enables a woodworker to start the blade at a low speed before increasing it gradually to the optimal RPM.
- 40-tooth blade for rip cuts on almost every type of wood
- Enhanced dado capacity for cutting grooves into a material
- Stands with foldable legs and sturdy wheels for all-terrain portability
- Electric brake programmed to halt blade rotation
- On and off button conveniently placed for smooth operation also integrated with circuit breaker
- Onboard storage area for accessories such as push sticks, anti-kickback pawls, and blade guards
- The product is backed with a 2-year warranty
5. Jet JBTS-10MJS 10-Inch Jobsite Table Saw
The Jet JBTS-10MJS is a 90 pounds portable table saw, a weight that conveniently allows for one person to assemble and carry. It has a 15-amp motor that provides the power to rip through hard and softwood.
Staying with the stand, it has a scissor-style design with a pair of wheels. Due to the nature of their work, professional woodworkers move from place to place. The wheels, together with the structural foldability, make it convenient to move the table saw without trouble.
The tabletop, made from aluminum, measures 24 inches by 21-25/32. A user can move an extension located on the saw’s right hand to create additional space that stretches up to 30-1/4 inches. The T-squared fence has a lock plus a pointer that shows the width of the wood material.
The anti-kickback pawls are another feature worth noting due to their ability to minimize exposure to injury. Safety comes in the form of a blade guard that requires no tools to install or remove.
This table saw comes with a three-year limited manufacturer’s warranty. However, it is a pricey piece of equipment.
- The dimension of this product is 45.5 x 31.7 x 20 inches and it weighs 90 pounds
- A scissor-like stand that folds and stretches as need be with wheels for enhanced mobility
- Powerful motor, 15-amps with a soft start for a smooth approach to working with the saw
- It has a stand that also features wheels
- A large tabletop for both small, and large-scale wood ripping tasks
- Simple instructions that guide users to assemble the equipment fast, no technical experience needed
6. Bosch 10-Inch Portable
The Bosch GTS1031 boasts of a 4hp motor that releases 5,000 RPMs for smooth cuts. It has a steel, lightweight base with handles on the side. Beneath the tabletop is a storage space for accessories such as wrenches, miter gauge, smart guard and rip fence.
The steel base has other uses too. Mainly, it helps the table withstand impact from large cutting jobs.
At the same time, the table saw has a smart guard system consisting of a blade guard, riving knife, and anti-kickback pawls.
Bosch GTS1031 has a large surface area on its tabletop measuring 20 inches long and 22.5 inches wide. Its blade diameter is 10 inches with a slope range of between -2 degrees to 47 degrees.
At 45 degrees, the saw can attain depth cut of 2-1/4 inches. At 90 degrees the maximum depth of cut is 3-1/8 inches.
While the equipment does not have a dust blower, it is compatible with 2-1/2 vacuum hoses. At the point of purchase, the table saw comes with a 24-tooth ten-inch saw, miter gauge, push stick, rip fence, and blade change wrenches.
- Portability comes with a carry handle for storage and transportation from one workstation to the next
- Storage space located beneath the table for keeping accessories
- Tabletop size large working surface measuring 20 x 22.5 inches for different sizes of material
- Smart guard system consists of a blade guard, riving knife and pawls to prevent kickback
- Right size not too big or too small, just the right size for a small workshop
- The product is backed with a year limited warranty and 30-day money return
7. Makita 2705 10-Inch Contractor Table Saw
Here is a contractor table saw with sheer power as manifest in its 15-amp motor generating 4,800 RPMs. The tabletop measures 36 x 16 x 32 inches, which is a large area for making precise cuts.
Besides, the flat surface ensures that there are no concerns about uneven cuts or deviations.
Unlike other table saw brands, the Makita 2705 features a compact design with less crowded instruments. However, there are no wheels on its base, something that can pose challenges when moving the equipment. Despite weighing in at 80 pounds, one person cannot transport the table on their own.
Furthermore, this table saw lacks some safety features. All the same, the blade guard’s design is fantastic. A user can see the blade clearly at the point where it meets the wood. Unlike other models, Makita 2705 has two anti-kickback mechanisms.
Although the equipment has an on/off switch, it is tiny. At the same time, the table saw does not have dust-collection capability. Accumulation of dust may affect blade performance. However, cleaning with an air compressor always helps prevent clogging.
- Compact – there are not many auxiliary instruments crowding the tabletop
- Tool-less blade guard – easily removable and adjustable
- Dual side guards – anyone working with the machine can cut any size of wood and easily define the measurement from blade to the rip
- Non-wheeled base – can at times be burdensome as it would require two people to carry the Makita 2705
- Anti-kickback mechanism – the machine has two of these while other models only have one
8. DEWALT DWE7480
The DWE7480 has a rack and pinion fence, aspects that contribute significantly to cutting flexibility and accuracy. Despite appearing seemingly small, it has a rip capacity of 24.5 inches. It can saw large pieces quickly and accurately.
The stand, made from heavy-duty steel tubes, helps keep the DWE7480 intact during operation. It is easily foldable to allow for transportation of the table saw.
Working on uneven surfaces is not an issue as the adjustable feet at the base of the stand can hold the table over any surface
At a diameter of 10 inches, the 24-tooth carbide blade is also sturdy. Other components in the saw include a hardware bag, blade guard, miter gauge, and push stick. It also has onboard storage for keeping a technician’s tools.
Its 15-amp motor provides massive power for ripping different wood types and other material. The spinning speed is 4,800 RPMs, and this is without any load. Also, the blade can make angle cuts at between 0-45 degrees.
The telescopic fence provides precision through its secure locking mechanism. Since it requires no tools to activate, a user needs only to use one hand. Such may seem like a minor feature, but it saves you a lot of time that could otherwise be spent trying to get the right adjustments.
- Weighing 56 pounds – makes the contractor table saw highly portable
- Small size – the unit measures 26.5 x 25.8 x 17.5 inches meaning that when not in use, one can put it away and create space
- Storage – has easy access to accessories and helps keep them safe when one is not using them
- Adjustable rear feet – help keep the table saw level with the ground when working on uneven surfaces
- Dust port – a 2-1/2 vacuum hose can fit here and clean the machine
- This product is backed with a 3-year warranty
9. DeWalt DW745 Table saw
The DW745 is both small and lightweight as compared to other models. Moreover, the base gives it a firm grip. It has a dust collecting port, but one that is not fully enclosed.
Its 10-inch blade is tough enough to handle heavy-cutting. A 24-tooth cutting edge such as the one in the DW745 makes it a suitable tool for fresh cutting.
The unit features a turning wheel to achieve the desired blade angle adjustment. Users can obtain woodworking angles at between 0-45 degrees. Also, the miter gauge allows for precise adjustment of the edge of the cut.
Like the other models featured in this review, this unit has a 15-amp motor whose 1,850 watts turns the blade at up to 3,850 RPMs. Such power is suitable and enough for heavy cutting tasks. At such levels, the cutting edge cannot choke on high-density or thick planks of wood.
The fast speed counters the low blade-tooth count and helps deliver smooth cuts. For dust collection, the unit has a 2-1/2 inches dust port. One only needs to connect the saw to a vacuum system, and it will keep the cut line dust-free. For a user’s safety, the DeWalt DW745 features a transparent blade guard, and a riving pawl the protects fingers from injury.
- Powerful motor – has a 15-amp rating with 3,850 RPMs that enables the saw tear through the thick and dense wood
- Blade angle – user can not only adjust but also lock the desired angle in place for the most accurate cut
- Miter gauge – helps obtain measurements from the graduated scale on the fence rails
- T-Fence – it moves along the fence rails and is easy to maneuver for enhanced accuracy
- This product comes with accessories and it even has a dust collector on it.
- Transparent hand guard – provides enhanced user safety
10. SKILSAW Portable Worm Drive Table Saw
Despite its lightweight, the SKILSAW has some of the most significant wood cutting power among similar models. It weighs 52 pounds and features a worm drive gear design. Its 15-amp motor delivers a massive 5,300 RPMs. Just like all the other saws reviewed here, the SKILSAW has a blade size of 10 inches.
It has a cut depth of 2-3/10 inches at 45 degrees and 3-1/2 inches at 90 degrees. With the help of a bevel gear, a woodworker can switch from angles of 90 to 45 degrees with ease. All it takes is a hand movement, the swifter, the better.
Another aspect worthy of mention about the motor is the ability to cool down, dissipate heat generated by friction, and provide longer working hours.
Dust collection technology follows a similar approach. Like in the other models reviewed earlier, the manufacturer has placed the collection port at the back of the unit. It can fit a 2-1/4-inch vacuum hose.
Worm drive motors are not standard on table saws. The drive features gears arranged in a specific format that includes a worm wheel and screw.
- Dual-field motor – powered by 15-amps, it delivers a rotation speed of 5,300 RPMs
- Worm drive – a unique arrangement of gears, complete with a gearbox and oil
- Portability – the SKILSAW weighs 49 pounds which is not bulky and ideal for carrying with one hand
- Dust collection port – nothing unique here as other models also have a similar design
- Components in the package – wrench, push stick, guard system, carbide-tipped saw with a set of 24 teeth
Buying Guide – How to Choose the Best Portable Table Saw?
One can consider size in two perspectives; the machine size and saw blade size. Blades with a 10-inch diameter are a common feature in contractor table saws.
However, other formats include 8-inch, 12-inch, and 14-inch. Using anything smaller than the equipment’s rating is okay, but one should not buy blades that are larger than what the table saw can contain.
Generally, portable saws should be easy to transport, store, and use. Manufacturers have considered this by creating units that are smaller than the standard table saws. The type of projects handled by a woodworker determines the size of the saw procured.
Table saws come with features that make a user’s work smooth while preventing injury. Motor power is an essential characteristic. Variations in horsepower determine whether the equipment works fast or slow.
Every table saw has a miter gauge that helps a woodworker adjust the material to their desired angle for straight cutting.
The rip fence is another crucial aspect a buyer needs to check. Table saws are dangerous machines, and safety features should be a user’s primary concern. One must choose a saw that has a blade guard, riving knife, anti-kickback pawls, and a push stick. A blade brake stops the blade at the slightest contact with a user’s skin.
Table saw stands are a must-have, especially for job sites. Under such scenarios, the woodwork technician keeps moving. They could be at site A one day and site B in the next. The design of these stands is unique in a way that protects the machine from damage while on the move. Stands with wheels are a perfect choice.
Another consideration is to go for foldable stands and those having expandable legs. These variations are critical while using the table on uneven surfaces. Also, a buyer needs to check for the material used. Some models use steel, cast iron or aluminum.
Sawing wood releases sawdust and other particles. If not removed, these can clog the blade and affect work efficiency. Buying a portable table saw that comes with a dust collector port saves a user from additional cleaning work.
To achieve additional rip capacity, one needs a saw with table extensions. When buying, checking that the equipment has an extension is a wise move, especially in work situations that involve cutting broader timber stocks.
Table saws are costly. Also, the type of work they do makes them vulnerable to breakdown. Faulty parts are also common. By choosing an item covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, a buyer is confident of getting a reprieve in the event of parts damage or malfunction.
All the saws reviewed here come with a warranty, the longest being three years. One should not only confirm whether the manufacturer has such an arrangement but also understand its specifics.
Warranties are not the same. Some manufacturers offer free servicing but place a surcharge on parts replacement. Others may replace parts for free the first time but charge on subsequent repairs.
A table saw is an essential investment for both professional and hobby woodworkers. Getting the buying decision right is critical.
Through reviews such as this one, buyers find that their task becomes more natural than going out blind. Working with a budget is an ideal starting point. By deciding how much one must spend, they can narrow down to equipment within their price range.
Although contractor tables technology is dynamic, some aspects do not change. If anything, manufacturers keep improving such features. Potential buyers must also keep in mind every machine’s pros and cons. Before deciding, a woodworker should consider the nature of their daily work.
Issues such as an equipment’s sawing ability, its portability as well as longevity also come into play. The best approach would be to list down all expectations then comparing each saw against the list. The one with the highest score becomes the purchase choice.
However, one must be careful to avoid bias. The buying decision is a tricky one as it forces a buyer to juggle between things like cost vis-à-vis the features in a product. Usually, pricing may tip the scales, but that does not necessarily guarantee going home with the best table saw.